Sunday, July 11, 2010

Are you Hungry?

Are you hungry? I bet not. I am one of millions, who have never missed a meal, but did you know that here in Texas we lead the nation with children who are hungry. 1 in 5 children live in households that are "food insecure". meaning they do not have access to adequate, nutritious meals on a regular basis. Research shows that hungry children have poorer mental health and overall health, miss more days of school, suffer greater rates of behavioral disorders and are less prepared to learn when they are in school. Summer is the hungriest season for children because school feeding programs end for the summer.

As I sit here planning my next meal I offer you a challenge. The next time you are at Kroger, or Safeway, pick up a few extra goodies for your local food pantry. Or better yet, when you have your next party, tell your guests that the price of their meal is at least one can food item. Such an easy way to give back to your communitty and help the hungry.

For more information check out http://feedingamerica.org and for my Texas friends go to http://ntfb.org


Thanks for listing,

No comments:

Post a Comment