Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chicken Salad

I love chicken! You can do so much with a nice roasted chicken. Salads, sandwich, pot pies... etc. Such a versatile little critter!


The roasted chicken is my best friend when it comes to chicken salad. I find that the dark meat adds nice flavor to the salad along with the nice seasoned skin.

Many years ago I had some roasted chicken left so I started cutting up the white meat but thought, hum why not throw in the dark meat as well. It was a big hit. So here is my recipe for chicken salad.

Bread of some type or just place this on a nice bed of butter lettuce and serve with some crusty french bread. Sourdough is my fav!

1 roasted chicken cut up in medium dice. I love the chickens at Costco

2 med stalks of celery finely chopped

1 med/small purple onions. If red onion is too strong for you try green/spring onions.

1 nice firm pear small dice. You do not have to add this or you can try a nice apple.

Some pickled Jalapenos You decide how spicy you want. I like just a few to give the salad a slight kick.

Salt and pepper to taste

Mayo not that light stuff either.

Place all all ingredients in bowl and add mayo a little at a time. Add the Jalapenos a bit at a time as well. Fold all together and taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. Let salad sit in fridge for about an hour so all the flavor come together.

Remember you can always add more of each ingredient, but you can't take away. So go light on the Jalapenos and onions at first then taste later.

If you want to really spice it up you can use fresh Jalapenos.


Hope you give this a try. I also make a version of this recipe but do not add Jalapenos, instead I add Thyme or Rosemary. I somnetimes add pear or apple sometimes not. It depends how the kitchen spirit is talking to me.


Until next time this is Kitchen Cutie saying, "Don't just cook, add a heaping cup of love to everything you make"

No comments:

Post a Comment